Monday, February 2, 2015

I'm sitting outside on the terrace and just finished some work for the office.  I had a margarita while I did it, so hopefully it will make sense!

I had a wonderful lunch in the market today.  First a tamale with chicken and a very sweet black mole then a chile relleno, stuffed with chicken.  So so good.  While I ate the tamale, I sat next to a couple from South Korea and helped them order some vegetable soup. 

I bought some chiles to bring home and some gorgeous panela, which is a block of brown sugar. 

I found out that it will take me 9 hours on the bus to get to Puerto Escondido, where the beach is.  After speaking to the old guy at the coffee shop today I decided to fly there instead.  He said it's a small plane that goes up over the sierra then down down down to the beach.  That will be "fun."  I'm going there on Wednesday and will be back here on Friday so it just doesn't make sense to drive. 

Tomorrow I'm going to Monte Alban, a Zapotec city from about 100 BC.  Here's some more info about it, if you're interested. 

Here are the photos from the market today. 

 This is the first place I ate.  I had a tamale.  You can see them stacked there next to the big tostadas.





Here's the guy I bought chiles from.  He even put a label in each bag because I had never heard of these types.  He told me one type was really good to blend with balsamic vinegar then with olive oil to make a salad dressing.  Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment