Thursday, January 29, 2015


San Miguel is really beautiful.  It's easy to be here, which is nice, but a tad annoying that there are so many foreigners.  I don't know why that bothers me so much, but it does.  (Does that make me a reverse snob?) They don't seem especially friendly, either.  But, it's a beautiful colonial town with lots of pretty shops selling gorgeous handmade things.  In some ways the shops remind me of Provincetown but the town lacks that P-Town vibe of wild, sweet, goofiness.  

I'm staying in a small B&B.  The woman who runs it, Connie, is Mexican.  She loves it here.  I asked her why and she said because the quality of life is high.  It's not dirty, there's a lot going on.  She has her little hotel business and even though she only charges about $35/night, she must make a decent living.  She has 4 or 5 rooms that she rents.  Here's a link to see the place I'm staying.  I am sitting outside on the terrace that is in the first photo in the photos of the hotel, typing on my computer intermittently chatting with my friend, Elaine, who lives in El Salvador.  Geez, this is the life!

I walked around in the morning.  Fresh fruit sitting outside in a little cafe that had an internet connection so I could check out bus schedules to go to my next destination (Puebla).  Then, I walked around a bit and later met Doug, my sister's ex-husband for lunch.  It was so great to see him - we had a great time.  We went for a ride to buy some butter from a dairy then went back to his house where I met his almost-wife, as he calls her, Dennise, who is lovely.  She's a baker.  We drank mate (her first husband was Argentinian) and talked with a friend of her who was visiting.  I can't remember his name but I think he was the most handsome man I may have ever met!  And, he was nice and smiled at me a lot, which was disconcerting.  It was fun to look at him and to be in the company of someone so beautiful who actually seemed interested in speaking with me!  On top of it all, he's a sculptor!  I almost fainted!

Doug dropped me off at my lodgings at around 4:30.  I'll meet them later as Doug is playing in a concert tonight at 9:00.   

I'll post more photos later.  Here's a view from the terrace I'm hanging out on.  Gonna get a sweater and walk into town for dinner at this place that Doug recommended.  Doesn't that hibiscus margarita look good?



No comments:

Post a Comment